Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 24: To Morganza, La

This morning we woke up and were in no real rush to get going, since we had a short day of 35 miles to St. Francisville planned. When I went into the bathroom, I found a bunch of Clif bars and a note "Good luck guys, take your time leaving... Ryan." What a great guy he was, and awesome host, along with Seth.

So we got on the road, in search of a Waffle House. There was one about 6 miles in the direction we were going. Score! When we got there I had an email from Sara saying they were going to be staying in Morganza, La tonight and we should meet them there. Ryan worked the google map, figured about 50 miles from where we were, so that was the new plan.

We road 61 for awhile again, no flats this time. Then we took a whole bunch of numbered roads, like 414, 620, 963, ... I don't really remember. We did cross the Mississippi on this pretty big bridge, but it had no shoulder. As we were crossing I saw a steamboat cruising under the bridge, it was exactly what I wanted to see; I read Life On The Mississippi by Mark Twain during the first leg.

Later on in the ride, we thought we were riding along the Mississippi, but it turned out to be False River, its not even a river. It looked like it was flowing so fast, but apparently it doesn't flow. The wind was blowing so hard that it was getting whitecaps and ripples. They definitely faked me out.

All in all the day was decent. I don't know if it was the 15-20 mph winds coming at us from everywhere except behind, or my muscles being really tight from yesterdays long day, or not being used to the wider tires and the extra weight, or a combo of all, but we just weren't moving faster than 10 or so for most of the day. I think tomorrow has a 35ish mile ride in store for us.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment