Thursday, June 17, 2010

The beginning

The plane ride to Bellingham, WA went super smoothly. My bike was checked for a $50 oversize fee, and arrived along with me. It had been inspected and they actually did a pretty decent job packing it back up. When I got outside the airport, I decided to just build the bike up and ride the 3 miles to a hotel instead of getting a cab. I relaxed in the room for awhile, got all my gear set up, and watched some tv. On Ace of Cakes, they built up a full size Stanley Cup for a hockey themed wedding. It was awesome.
On Wednesday morning, I decided to take the ride up to the border to meet Chris, my riding partner, instead of just waiting for her in Bellingham. It ended up being about 20+ miles with overcast skies. While waiting for her to cross the border, the skies cleared and the sun came out. We rode another 40 or so miles to Larrabee State Park to camp. As soon as we started eating, a raccoon appeared. We decided not to take food into our tents after Chris told a story of a guy who woke up to a whole in his tent and a raccoon paw feeling around in his tent. Needless to say, our Chili Cheese Fritos were devoured by a very lucky raccoon.
Today we had about 55 miles to Ft. Ebey State Park. It was overcast all day. We rode along cliffs overlooking bays and harbors for most of the day. Even with the cloudy skies, it was beautiful! So far, Washington has been awesome!
It feels good to be back on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment